What We Do
My work comprises:
- Providing expert support to foster carers – the nature of the support centres on transferring knowledge gained in training to real life situations
- Child Attachment Style assessments
- Training foster carers
- Training a range of professionals that work with children in care, social workers, social care workers, teachers, psychologists and others.
- Bespoke training
- Various consultancy tasks
- Mediation Work
- Individual and Group Supervision
I train trainers in Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) for Cornell University NY. I have taught in USA, Australia, Eastern Europe, UK and Ireland www.rccp.cornell.edu
I work with colleagues from the Residential Child Care Project at Cornell University to bring the CARE Best Practise Model of residential care organisations http://rccp.cornell.edu/care/care_main.html
Qualifications and Experience
I hold a Doctorate in Professional Studies from the University of Middlesex. My topic of study concerned a review of the best available knowledge to help child recover from attachment / development disruption. I hold a Masters Degree in Social Work and Masters Degree in Applied Social Sciences, also a post graduate Diploma in Applied Learning Theory and an Advanced Certificate in Management and Leadership all from Queens University Belfast. Queens University awarded me the Brian Rankin Prize and Medal for outstanding social work practice during social work training. I trained in Child Attachment Interviewing at the Anna Freud Centre in London.
I have twenty years experience of working with troubled young people in residential care settings. I managed an adolescent residential care home based on therapeutic principles. This project was part of the Barnardos organisation in Ireland. I led and managed a team of social workers who provided residential care in an open childrens home for Belfast Central Mission. This facility was for children and teens with emotional and behavioural problems.
In 1998 I was invited to join the faculty of the Residential Child Care Project, Cornell University New York. I am lead consultant in Ireland for the RCCP Crisis Prevention and Management System, the programme is called Therapeutic Crisis Intervention.
I hold a Doctorate in Professional Studies from the University of Middlesex. My topic of study concerned a review of the best available knowledge to help child recover from attachment / development disruption.
Providing expert support to foster carers100%
Child Attachment Style assessments100%
Training foster carers100%
Training a range of professionals that work with children in care100%
Various consultancy tasks100%
What we offer
- Delivery of TCI training in your organisation, appropriate for foster cares, schools, residential child care, youth centre – in fact – any setting for children and youth.
- Expert assistance to fully implement TCI as a crisis prevention and intervention system within your setting
- Learning from crisis events – a one day training event in Post Crisis Response.
- Training carers and professional aimed at helping children develop emotional self-regulation – a one-day training event based on Life Space Interview techniques.
- Problem solving with ‘explosive children’
- Conflict resolution with children and teens.
- Assessment of children’s attachment style to assist in care planning.
Did you know?
TCI is a total organisational system designed to prevent challenging behaviour – it is based on three core competencies.
- Working to prevent crisis episodes
- Ability to intervene effectively and therapeutically in crisis events.
- Ability to facilitate learning with children and carers / educators post crisis.